Two Critical Incidents: Officer Shoots Jessie Stowers and Zachary Yates Survives Gunfire

Accident – Death – Obituary News : Denver Police Department Reveals New Information and Bodycam Footage of Two Critical Incidents

The Denver Police Department has released updated information and bodycam footage of two “critical incidents,” including one involving an officer shooting a man. Denver Police Chief Ron Thomas and Major Crimes Division Commander Matt Clark conducted a press conference at the Denver Police Headquarters to provide details on the shooting and a separate medical incident that resulted in the death of a man in police custody.

The first incident occurred on November 26 at around 9 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a man violating a restraining order at 3737 N. Quebec Street. The restraining order was related to a prior felony menacing at the same location. The suspect, identified as 43-year-old Jessie Stowers, had removed his ankle monitor, which was later found in a nearby alley. Stowers then entered a nearby unit at the apartment complex.

According to the bodycam footage, officers knocked on the door, but the suspect refused to open it. Eventually, the police pushed through and handcuffed Stowers in a bathroom using “minimal force.” An officer noticed that Stowers had been flushing drugs down the toilet and confronted him. Stowers denied any involvement with drugs and claimed he had come to the complex to get his ankle monitor charger.

Medical officials evaluated Stowers at the scene to determine if he had ingested any narcotics. He was cleared to be transported to the detention center. However, around 11 a.m., while being transported in a police vehicle, Stowers experienced a “medical event.” The officer driving pulled over and positioned Stowers against the hood of the vehicle, asking him about drug use. Stowers was unable to respond coherently and appeared to be shaking.

Officers placed Stowers on the ground in the recovery position and administered Narcan. When he stopped breathing, CPR was performed while waiting for paramedics to arrive. Stowers was taken to a nearby hospital but was pronounced dead. The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner is currently investigating the incident, and preliminary findings suggest that drug involvement may have played a role.

Despite the tragic outcome, the officers involved, whose names were not disclosed, have returned to their normal duties.

The second bodycam video presented by Clark and Thomas involved an incident where an officer discharged his weapon on November 27 at an apartment complex in the 800 block of South Oneida Street. According to Thomas, officers were drawn to the scene due to loud music coming from a vehicle in the parking lot.

The video shows a man, later identified as 32-year-old Zachary Yates, outside of a truck, moving boxes near a dumpster. As officers approached, they observed a handgun tucked into Yates’ waistband at the back. They ordered him to drop the weapon.

Yates stood with his hands at his sides and questioned the officers about the legality of carrying a gun, claiming to have a concealed handgun permit. Officers spent approximately four minutes trying to persuade Yates to comply, but he continued to argue. Suddenly, Yates reached behind his back, prompting two officers to fire five shots, hitting him twice from a distance of 30 to 40 feet. The officers immediately provided medical assistance and called for an ambulance.

The recovered firearm was a Glock 17 with one round in the chamber. The magazine had a capacity of 17 rounds, with 16 rounds loaded, both of which are prohibited in Denver.

Yates was taken to a local hospital and underwent immediate surgery. He survived and has since been discharged. He now faces charges of unlawfully carrying a firearm and prohibited possession of a high-capacity magazine.

Chief Thomas commended the officers’ response, stating that they took significant measures to deescalate the situation. He emphasized that the officers did not want to use lethal force and made every effort to resolve the incident peacefully. As part of the Critical Incident Investigative Protocol, the officers involved have been placed on modified duty status pending completion of the investigation.

In conclusion, the Denver Police Department has provided the public with new information and bodycam footage of two critical incidents, offering additional insights into the circumstances surrounding these events. The department’s commitment to transparency and thorough investigations is evident in their efforts to provide a detailed account of these incidents..