Indianapolis Police Release Edited Bodycam Footage of Armed Standoff with Eric Taylor Resulting in Fatality

By | November 14, 2023



Accident – Death – Obituary News : Indianapolis, IN – The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) has released edited body-camera footage of a deadly encounter between three officers and 37-year-old Eric Taylor, shedding light on the armed standoff that occurred in the early hours of September 19. Taylor was shot and killed by a police officer after officers responded to a domestic disturbance call, where a woman reported that Taylor was threatening her and her children’s lives with a gun.

The released segments of the bodycam footage show Taylor holding what appears to be a handgun and repeatedly urging officers to shoot him, disregarding their commands to drop his weapon. The incident has sparked a debate about the need for increased mental health services to be present at the scene to assist police in preventing fatal encounters.

“They could have tased him. They could have shot him with a rubber bullet. They could have done a number of things,” lamented Kim Gray, Taylor’s mother. Family members of Taylor watched the unedited bodycam video of the shooting, hoping for answers and justice.

According to IMPD’s timeline of events, the incident unfolded shortly after 3 a.m. on September 19 when dispatch received a 911 call concerning a domestic disturbance. The woman informed the dispatcher that she had fled her home with her children, claiming that Taylor, her ex-boyfriend, was pursuing them with a gun. The chilling call included a child’s plea for help and the mother’s plea for her children’s safety.

Police located the woman’s vehicle at a gas station on Worman Street, where she pointed out Taylor’s nearby car. Taylor drove away from the gas station, prompting officers to initiate a pursuit that ended in the 1800 block of Portage Terrace at an apartment complex. Bodycam footage captures Taylor exiting his vehicle while holding what appears to be a gun. Although Taylor never points the weapon at officers, he can be heard repeatedly asking them to shoot him while disregarding their commands to drop the gun.

In the footage, Taylor can be seen walking around to the passenger side of his vehicle, still refusing to comply with officers’ instructions. “Shoot, shoot,” he goads the officers, who continue to urge him to drop the weapon. Taylor opens the car door and leans forward, prompting an officer to fire a single shot. Taylor slumps forward, falling onto the passenger seat with only his legs visible outside the car.

The edited bodycam footage released by IMPD shows Taylor holding the suspected handgun throughout the encounter with police. The footage reveals that Taylor initially held the gun in his right hand but switched it to his left before opening the passenger side door.

Following the shooting, Taylor was transported to Eskenazi Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. No officers were injured during the incident, and Taylor did not fire any shots. A Taurus G3C handgun was recovered from inside his vehicle.

IMPD’s Internal Affairs Unit is investigating the shooting to ensure compliance with department policy. Additionally, a citizen-majority Use of Force Review Board will review the incident.

The release of the edited bodycam footage aims to provide transparency and clarity regarding the events that led to Eric Taylor’s death. However, the incident has raised concerns about the use of force by law enforcement and the need for improved mental health crisis intervention. As the investigation unfolds, the community and Taylor’s family await further answers and potential changes to police protocols..