Three individuals tragically died after falling into a hole in a cornfield in Texas. The incident occurred while they were hog hunting with dogs, and one of the dogs fell into a cistern filled with hydrogen sulfide gas. Attempts to rescue the dog and the three individuals were unsuccessful due to the low water level in the cistern. The victims have been identified as visitors from Florida. The bodies were recovered after the cistern was cleared and an investigation into the incident is ongoing. David Matthews, New York Daily News reported
Three individuals tragically perished on Wednesday after accidentally falling into a cavity located in a cornfield in Texas. The incident unfolded when law enforcement authorities from the Bastrop County Sheriff’s Office received a distress call at approximately 1 a.m. on Wednesday morning, alerting them to people trapped in a hole. Preliminary information indicated that the victims, a group of four individuals engaged in wild boar hunting accompanied by dogs, encountered the unfortunate circumstances.
The calamity commenced when one of the hunting dogs inadvertently plummeted into a rainwater cistern, which had become contaminated with hazardous hydrogen sulfide gas. Subsequently, a member of the hunting party attempted to rescue the distressed canine by descending into the cistern. In a selfless act of valor, two additional individuals from the group joined the rescue mission, while the fourth member sought assistance by going to his truck to call emergency services.
Regrettably, the water level within the cistern was situated approximately eight feet below ground level, rendering it inaccessible to both the three victims and the trapped dog. Consequently, all individuals involved, including the canine companion, were fatally poisoned by the potent and lethal gas.
The deceased have been identified as Delvys Garcia, aged 37, Denise Martinez, aged 26, and Noel Vigil-Benitez, aged 45. Hailing from Florida and visiting a friend in Red Rock, Texas, the trio’s untimely demise has left their loved ones devastated. During a press conference held on Thursday, Bastrop County Sheriff Maurice Cook expressed his condolences, emphasizing the profound sorrow surrounding the loss of these vibrant young lives. He remarked, “It’s a hunting accident that went bad. It’s sad that these young people lost their lives… Our heart goes out to the families. Can you imagine if you have loved ones that come here to hunt in Texas and it ends like that?”
Following the necessary clearance of the cistern from water and toxic fumes, the bodies of the victims, along with the dog, were recovered on the same evening at approximately 7:30 p.m. A deputy outfitted in protective gear was carefully lowered into the cavity to execute the retrieval operation.
Sheriff Cook emphasized that the investigation into this tragic incident is still in progress, and the veracity of the hunting narrative needs to be corroborated thoroughly..