“Emilio Matarazzo Found Guilty in Shooting Death of Wife”

By | August 9, 2023



Emilio Matarazzo, an Everett man, has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting death of his wife more than four-and-a-half years ago. Ersilia Cataldo Matarazzo was found dead in her car, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The couple had a history of abuse, and Cataldo Matarazzo had filed for divorce before her death. Matarazzo was arrested after walking into the police station, and a search warrant led to the discovery of the murder weapon. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Thursday. WCVB reported

An Everett resident is currently awaiting sentencing after being found guilty by Massachusetts authorities in the fatal shooting of his wife over four and a half years ago, just prior to the Christmas holiday. Emilio Matarazzo was convicted of first-degree murder following a 16-day trial at Middlesex Superior Court, as announced by the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office on Tuesday. Ersilia Cataldo Matarazzo, aged 50, was discovered dead in her car, parked in the driveway of her parents’ residence in Everett, on the morning of December 19, 2018. Law enforcement officers from Everett who found Cataldo Matarazzo stated that she had suffered multiple gunshot wounds to her torso. Investigation findings revealed that Cataldo Matarazzo had filed for divorce from her husband approximately a month before the shooting and had relocated to her parents’ home on Central Avenue. Prosecutors disclosed that she had previously disclosed a lengthy history of verbal abuse and cited recent incidents of physical abuse by her husband, including strangulation and scratching. On the day prior to the shooting, Matarazzo attended a Christmas party at St. Anthony’s Parish in Everett, where his wife was employed, and became agitated while demanding to see Cataldo Matarazzo. He was subsequently asked to leave and reportedly pushed his daughter in a fit of anger outside the church. Prosecutors stated that on December 19, 2018, sometime after 8:30 a.m., approximately 10 minutes before the deadly shooting was reported to Everett police, a witness heard gunshots and observed a man carrying a long gun approach a car in the driveway of the Central Avenue residence. The man aimed the gun through the window and began firing into the car, where Cataldo Matarazzo was seated. Authorities later identified the man as Matarazzo. The district attorney’s office reported that Matarazzo voluntarily went to the police station later that morning and was subsequently arrested. A search warrant was executed at Matarazzo’s property on Foster Street, where investigators found the murder weapon, a Beretta .12 gauge shotgun, concealed behind a workbench in the basement. Prosecutors confirmed that the shotgun had the same serial number as the one missing from Matarazzo’s home gun safe. Matarazzo is scheduled to receive his sentence on Thursday, according to authorities..