Norwegian Climber Faces Backlash After Dying Sherpa Incident

By | August 14, 2023



Norwegian climber Kristin Harila, who recently became one of the fastest people to summit the world’s 14 highest peaks, has faced criticism after a video showed climbers passing a dying sherpa on K2. Harila, along with her team, spent 90 minutes trying to help the fallen porter. The incident has sparked a row in the climbing community, with an inquiry being opened by tourism authorities in Pakistan. Harila defended her actions, stating that they did everything they could to help. However, she faced backlash on social media despite other climbers being in the same situation. Malay Mail reported

A Norwegian climber who recently achieved the joint-fastest ascent of the world’s 14 highest peaks has found herself at the center of controversy. Video footage emerged showing a line of climbers passing by a fallen sherpa on K2, the second highest mountain in the world. Despite spending 90 minutes attempting to assist, the climber, Kristin Harila, has faced considerable criticism. The fallen porter, identified as 27-year-old Mohammed Hassan from Pakistan, was not part of Harila’s team. Around 100 climbers reached the summit that day, and an inquiry has been launched into the incident by tourism authorities in Pakistan’s Gilgit Baltistan. In response to the backlash, Harila took to Instagram to explain her side of the story and address the misinformation and animosity being spread, including receiving death threats.

During the ordeal, Harila and her team made every effort to help the fallen porter. They spent an hour and a half in a bottleneck trying to rescue him before Harila continued her ascent after receiving a distress call from the fixing team ahead. Her cameraman, Gabriel, stayed behind with the porter, providing him with oxygen and hot water while others continued past. Gabriel eventually left to replenish his own oxygen supply, and upon reuniting with Harila, they realized the porter’s chances of survival were slim. On their descent, they discovered that the porter had tragically passed away.

Harila acknowledged that her team was unable to carry the porter’s body down safely due to their physical condition. It would have required at least six people to do so. She expressed deep sympathy for the porter’s family and emphasized that she and her team had done their best, particularly Gabriel, who had stayed with the porter for an extended period.

Despite other climbers being in a similar situation, Harila faced severe criticism on social media platforms. However, some users defended her actions, recognizing the inherent dangers involved in such expeditions..